COVID-19 Update: For U.S. Customer Information
Sorry, we couldn’t find any results matching
Did you mean “”
Did you mean ?
Sorry, we couldn’t find any results matching
Protect yourself, your apartment or rental home, and your valuables with Renters Insurance.
I need to learn more about renters insurance.
Why do I need renters insurance? Collapsed
Renters insurance provides protection for all your belongings in case something bad happens, like a fire or burglary. While your landlord is responsible for many things in your rental unit (like plumbing and the roof, for example), your personal belongings aren’t covered, even if your landlord has an insurance policy.
What does renters insurance from MetLife Auto & Home Cover? Collapsed
All of our renters insurance policies include:
- Personal property ensures that if something happens and you need to repair or replace your belongings, you’re covered. If there’s a loss, we’ll pay the cost to repair or replace, up the actual cash value of your damaged or stolen property.
- Replacement cost coverage, which will cover you if something happens and you need to repair or replace your property. Our policies don’t deduct for depreciation (up to your coverage amount). This applies to any improvements, additions, or alterations you made to your rental unit at your own expense.1
- Personal liability protection, which provides $100,000 of coverage (or more, if you choose) if someone else is hurt when they’re in your rental unit. It also covers property damage to others that you’re held responsible for. We’ll also cover your legal defense costs.
What other renters insurance features are available? Collapsed
In some states, we also offer four specialty coverage packages, which can be added to your basic renters policy. These packages cover electronics, musical instruments, recreational/sports equipment, and luxury items and feature broader, all-risk coverage, which means they are protected regardless of where or how they are lost or damaged. We will repair or replace them without deduction for depreciation.4
- You can choose up to $5,000, $10,000, or $15,000 of coverage depending on the value of your items within these packages.
- In addition to broader coverage, these specialty packages also come with a bonus coverage that provides protection if these items break down or do not work correctly.
- Each specialty coverage package has its own $100 deductible. Choose one or all of these packages, depending on your needs.
- To find out if your state is eligible, contact a MetLife Auto & Home representative today.
How can I save on a renters insurance policy from MetLife Auto & Home Collapsed
In addition to our competitive premiums, you may qualify for discounts, including:
- Claim-free discounts—you can save when you don’t have any losses with us.5
- Multi-policy discount—choose us for your renters and auto coverage, and you’ll be rewarded with our “Home Policy Plus” discount.
- Protective devices discount—if you install safety and security devices in your rental unit, you could secure significant savings.
Can I get a discount through my employer or association? Collapsed
Yes, you may be eligible for an additional discount because of your employer or your membership to certain associations or group. We recommend entering your employer or association name when you are quoting so that we can offer you the best possible price.
Can I make changes to my online renters policy? Collapsed
We are enhancing our online insurance platform and, during this time, you will be able to view and print your policy documents and make one-time payments on your policy. For all other servicing requests, contact our customer service center for assistance. To report a claim, please contact our 24/7 Claims Department at 1-800-854-6011.
1 Subject to deductible. See policy for restrictions.
2 Specialty Coverage Packages not available in all states. Call MetLife Auto & Home or your local agent for availability.
3 Identity Protection Services are available in NC homeowner policies with the optional “Identity Theft Expense and Resolution Plus” endorsement for an additional premium.
4 Subject to policy exclusions.
5 Details vary by state.
MetLife Auto & Home is a brand of Metropolitan Property and Casualty Insurance Company and its affiliates: Economy Preferred Insurance Company, Metropolitan Casualty Insurance Company, Metropolitan Direct Property and Casualty Insurance Company (CA Certificate of Authority: 6730; Warwick, RI), Metropolitan General Insurance Company, Metropolitan Group Property and Casualty Insurance Company (CA COA:6393; Warwick, RI), and Metropolitan Lloyds Insurance Company of Texas, all with administrative home offices in Warwick, RI. Coverage, rates, discounts, and policy features vary by state and product, and are available in most states to those who qualify.
This information, although a reasonable description of the coverage and services provided, does not constitute part of the policy or binder of insurance and shall not be construed to replace any provision of the policy itself. In the event of any conflict between the policy and this information, the provisions of the policy shall prevail. It is therefore important that you read your policy carefully for complete details.
© 2017 MetLife Auto & Home